The overall aim of the Hydrobiological Station of Rhodes is to develop and disseminate scientific knowledge on the marine environment and its conservation.
- Oceanographic research- in collaboration with H.C.M.R.’s Institutes- in the Aegean and Mediterranean Seas
- Co-operation with Hellenic and foreign research institutions, Aquariums and Natural History Museums sharing experience and know-how on the scientific research and also on the operation and maintenance of aquariums-museums.
- Study of endangered aquatic species included in the International Convention CITES, such as sea turtles, whales and the Mediterranean seal.
- Study and monitoring of alien species entering the Mediterranean Sea from the Red Sea, through the Suez Canal (Lessepsian immigrants)
- Study and protection of the endemic in Rhodes Island freshwater fish Gizani (Ladigesocypris ghigii)